School Walkouts and Marches - 24 March & 20 April 2018

March 17, 2018 at 6:13 PM
I've seen a ton of discussion on social media and posts about school walkouts on March 24th and April 20th (anniversary of the columbine shooting) in protest of gun violence and politicians not taking action to stopping these massacres. I know I'm planning on marching, and I know some other kids that are as well.

What are your guys' opinions and thoughts on this? Let's keep this less of off the discussion of gun laws, and more on action being taken by youth and teens.

March 24, 2018 at 2:28 AM
Protesting anything in such a way doesn't work imo, but each to his own
March 24, 2018 at 3:18 AM
But it's better than doing nothing. You show face and with that you postulate a statement against the lethargy of responsible politicians.

And since a constant drop hollows the stone, the faces must show off enough more often. Until these faces pursue the politicians in their dreams and turn them into nightmares.

March 24, 2018 at 3:39 AM
ask me about the aspects of life i apply nihilism to because this is one of them.
March 24, 2018 at 3:32 PM
The problem is that kids still in highschool or middle school can't vote, so that's not really an option. And a majority of the states where these incidents occur are Red states, so again, that doesn't help.

And I know some kids that are going to use that excuse too, just to get out of class, but I'd rather they get out of class and end up in a march against gun violence than goof around in class.

It brings awareness, it makes our voices heard, and it shows that we're not going to stand for these things any longer.

March 24, 2018 at 3:52 PM
The best thing that we can do as young people is to demonstrate our intelligence and that we are young people that are not the stereotypical whiners and how we analyze and solve political issues that are labyrinthine in nature.

We have to learn how challenge and debate, and research how people in Washington DC and in State governments get paid off.

I'm concerned the Florida young people are going to have this passion and when they realize how hard it is to fight gerrymandered districts to get politicians who oppose them out of office, they're gonna mentally break.

March 25, 2018 at 6:36 PM
The Civil Rights movement would beg to differ.

However, as much I support the right of students to protest in such a way, I feel like they are protesting for the wrong reasons. The laws in place already failed them. They are asked daily to report to a location that is declared gun free, which has translated into "protection free".

Instead of appealing to politicians to save them via stricter gun laws, appeal for protection, appeal that the FBI and police actually do their jobs (They failed in many of these cases to investigate reports about the shooters before they became shooters) , appeal for an investigation into the legal pharmaceuticals many of these shooters are on and prescribed by doctors.

Stop the appeals to emotion and use logic.