Open world games could be alot bigger.

February 7, 2017 at 12:51 AM
It has often puzzled me as to why developers such as rockstar, bethesda, ubisoft and square enix don't make huge world maps, instead they make maps that you can travel from end to end in as little as ten minutes. Maybe they feel as though if the world is too big that people will get lost and not want to play, but isn't that exactly what we want? A world so big that we can get lost, not one so small that we know our way around it like it's our home town. Personally I would love to see game world's get alot bigger, maybe even country size. Maybe that's just a pipe dream though...
February 7, 2017 at 2:10 AM
These maps have to be filled with things to do. You can only do so much walking / driving without getting bored. Rockstar has got a pretty good ratio of size vs content with Grand Theft Auto V. Studios like Ubisoft will have sizable maps with copy and paste content that repeats, endlessly.

February 7, 2017 at 2:36 AM
The world needs to be filled with content to make it interesting. Look at a game like No Man's Sky.... It has all these proceduraly generated planets to explore, but the game is so boring and uninteresting. The best game worlds have meaningful content and are designed to be beautiful and interesting. You can not replace the creative touch of artists and designers. It takes time and resources to create all this. The bigger the game world the harder it is to add depth and keep it interesting.

Anyway, you may want to keep an eye out for Star Citizen on PC. It will have an epic space world to explore and do things in. It features a lot of hand crafted content with some procedural generation as well.

ARMA III on PC also has some very large environments worth checking out if you just want to explore and conduct various army operations.

The Crew has the entire USA in condensed form to drive around in. It is a decent game too now that it has received some big updates.

7075497.png
February 7, 2017 at 3:35 AM
Also if the map is too big ... I gues they'll have to sacrifice something like graphics ... frame rate etc which would make people whine.

Anyway I don't like openworld game as I feel they are already too big and empty... at least in FF15 they let you skip some driving