Ebola

May 20, 2018 at 11:08 PM
WHO preparing for worst-case Ebola scenario

There have been 34 cases of Ebola virus disease reported during the past five weeks, the WHO said Friday. Of those, two have been confirmed using laboratory tests, 14 are suspected, and 18 -- who are deceased -- are considered probable for the disease. Three of the patients are health care workers.

Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."
May 20, 2018 at 11:14 PM
Cue the hysteria ...
May 24, 2018 at 2:42 AM
I'm pretty sure WHO always adopts a 'worst-case scenario' preparation when it comes to Ebola. It's just good policy.

Hopefully, this outbreak will be comparatively 'minor', at least compared to the West African outbreak that began in 2013 - the 11,000+ deaths from that one account for approximately 85% of all Ebola deaths known from all outbreaks.

A tragedy to be sure, but it's worth remembering that Ebola is easily contained in modern states with modern medical infrastructure, as was demonstrated in 2014 when several infected individuals from the aforementioned outbreak made it to Europe and the United States. In every case, the disease was quickly contained.