How do you make friends as an adult?

October 10, 2018 at 3:50 PM
Over the years, I've noticed that i'm drifting apart from the group of friends i had in highschool and college. People are moving to different cities for work, families are being started, etc. My social life is kinda nonexistent now. My question is, how do you make friends as an adult?

November 29, 2018 at 5:45 PM

I've found as I get older that I have little or no interest in making new friendships...or even maintaining some of the older friendships. I haven't met anyone so interesting I need to see them regularly...once or twice is plenty.

We gotta get friends in high places, Hide behind their plastic faces, Rip up the flag and replace it, Dance with our friends in high places. 
November 3, 2018 at 9:27 PM

Identify those who need or want you as a friend.

Often, the older people become, more independent they become and the less disposable time they have to do things with friends. This is especially true when people get married and have kids. I am married with four kids under 13. I don't have any "friends" that I regularly do things with. No time. Once in a while we hang out with a neighbor to watch a Laker game but only because we both have kids in the same school and this guy and I used to work together.

October 16, 2018 at 1:10 PM
Find people that share AN interest. Don't think you have to have everything in common. It is not high school where you do everything with the same group. You don't have to go to a concert with the same person you golf with.

I disagree with a previous poster that mentioned like minded people. You only have to have one thing in common. As I said it is not high school. You will have different friends for different activities.

October 13, 2018 at 6:24 PM
I hate to be cynical and I'm waiting to be proven wrong but...as of this moment right now? I agree. Many adult friendships are superficial. I've made one true friend as an adult, and I consider myself very fortunate.

October 11, 2018 at 11:08 PM
There are many ways. You can make friends online. But, where it really counts is in the outside world. You just make friends by talking to people. The best way to go about it is probably by finding something that you are interested in and attending events or gatherings with people who share similar interests. (e.g if you are interested in art, go to art events, or go to art museums)

It's a matter of getting out of your shell and knowing who to meet, really.

I've had a similar thing happen to me. Within the last year, a lot of my friends had either left the area, or have died. I started getting a little concerned about things. I have realized that there were more people that I could meet than I realized. So I started paying more attention to them.

All of a sudden, people started going out of their way to meet me. All of a sudden, I was overwhelmed with new people that I have met. Now I'm back in the pass(ive)enger seat.

October 11, 2018 at 11:03 PM
We've met most of our friends through our kids. That is, our kids and their kids became friends and then we became friends with their parents. This goes back to shared interests, we all had kids in common. As others have said, just start meeting with people who share your interests. As long as you participate, maybe volunteer to lead occasionally, some will invite you to activities outside the group.

October 10, 2018 at 3:55 PM
Every day you are too busy to make friends, but you can if you have common interests with the people around you.