Adults who engage in peer pressure.

October 22, 2018 at 9:43 PM
I am not asking for advice on this thread, more just making an observation and seeing what other people's experiences are. The primary activity in my hometown is drinking. One thing I've noticed is that adults (and I'm talking people over the age of 30) seem to like to engage in peer pressure to make you drink or drink more in a social setting. To the point that in one gathering I was talking to my cousin who I had not seen in over a year and I had two grown adults over 30 asking why I wasn't drinking more. As in interrupting the conversation to ask. Like I needed to be drunk for them to have a good time or something.  I've also had situations where I've been in a bar and someone orders shots for everyone even without asking then gets offended when you don't want one. I've made it a point to avoid people like this as much as I can, but it amazes me people act like this. It seems to me that at best if you act like this you're still stuck in college and at worse you're an alcoholic.

October 23, 2018 at 11:51 PM

Yes. It happens. People come with different levels of social skills.

October 24, 2018 at 12:17 AM
You're right, it's a sign of immaturity. They probably also exhibit equally undesirable behavior in other areas of their lives, too. Maybe find places other than bars to hang out? People such as you describe probably gravitate to bars.

October 24, 2018 at 2:51 PM
You correctly ignore them.
October 24, 2018 at 10:22 PM
OP: What part of the country are you in?

Do you ever challenge them by saying "why are you pressuring me to drink?" or something similar? It seems extremely immature, but I think you said it is the norm where you live, so I am wondering what makes it like that. Did your parents pressure you to drink growing up?

Last edit: October 24, 2018 at 11:31 PM, Rafiki
October 25, 2018 at 3:56 PM
The way I see it...they just want you to have a good time. In their minds, that equals getting drunk during social events. You see things differently, and there's nothing wrong with that.

October 28, 2018 at 2:10 PM

A slow stare with a raised eyebrow works pretty good.

November 8, 2018 at 10:27 PM

Drinkers like company, so they aren't centered out as the only person at a gathering who is drunk. Being drunk with a bunch of sober people isn't fun for drinkers, so they encourage others to drink.