Instagram username in signature should not be allowed anymore

September 7, 2018 at 3:25 PM
Surely, it was a good way to find people to chat with. But here's the big problem:

So, a couple random people would DM me on Instagram asking me to send nudes or trade pics. Obviously, I wouldn't do that because of many reasons. I just reply back saying no. And if they say something like "Please? I am sure it won't be a big problem", then i would just block the user. So then after getting about 5 Instagram DM requests from strangers who want me to send nudes (who they say they found me on Zocialized), I decided to remove my Instagram username from my user signature.

I don't think I have seen anyone else put their Instagram username in their user signature, but I don't think it should be allowed anymore based on what happened to me. I feel more safer to share my username when someone PMs me on Zocialized.

Mods, what are your thoughts?

September 7, 2018 at 3:28 PM
That's very unfortunate, but yeah I don't blame you. I think it's a very easy thing for people to take advantage of. It's illogical to disallow Facebook or Twitter but allow for Instagram. Either all or none, but none is obviously better because it can be a privacy/security risk.
September 7, 2018 at 3:35 PM
I'm not a mod, but I think you shouldn't even share your Insta-Nick via PM .

At least you should have chatted with a user via PM for a couple of times or even longer before deciding to share your nick. Only when you got a certain feeling that the other user is somehow authentic, you should share your insta-nick.

But even then be careful.

"People don't like it when the flame becomes a wildfire. Fuck them. Burn anyway." -Erin Van Vuren
September 7, 2018 at 3:56 PM
I brought this up before so I hope it will be discussed further. The fact that Instagram isn't prohibited from signatures yet other social media are never made sense to me. It's obviously a loophole that can be taken advantage of, and something should be done about it.
September 7, 2018 at 4:01 PM
I've had similar problems in the past through Skype to where I eventually took it off of my profile so a big part of me agrees that our social media shouldn't be publicly shared and should be something we are allowed to exchange privately with members we feel comfortable with.
September 7, 2018 at 4:08 PM
I thought because Instagram was owned by Facebook, that this loophole was covered through logical deduction.
September 7, 2018 at 4:15 PM
That would be nice, but I don't think people concerned with trading pics have much logical deduction...
September 7, 2018 at 4:23 PM
I'm new here but is this the reason why there are no fields for newer social media?
September 7, 2018 at 6:52 PM
I think it should be allowed to have our insta (in this case) in the signs, but each person has the freedom to choose to not to put it there. And people should be aware that, unfortunately, there are a lot of people that are only here for nudes and that.
September 11, 2018 at 9:57 PM
You should remove your IG username. Issues discussed on this thread Reminder About Signatures